Congratulations, Russ Azbill! Russ is the new president of Arizona Authors’ Association and the Board of Directors and members who know Russ’ integrity, credibility, his award-winning writings, and have worked with him over the last many years are THRILLED! This...
Congratulations, Russ Azbill! Russ is the new president of Arizona Authors’ Association and the Board of Directors and members who know Russ’ integrity, credibility, his award-winning writings, and have worked with him over the last many years are THRILLED! This represents very good news for all Arizona authors and writers.
Due to circumstances previously unknown to and beyond the control of Arizona Authors’, the former president has been immediately removed from the Association. His actions perpetrated against the Association are under investigation. As soon as the Association knows more, a State of the Association will be published to the membership.
In the interim, the Board of Directors advises everyone to contact Mr. Azbill at RussellRAzbill@gmail.com or the Association at AzAuthors@gmail.com regarding anything associated with Arizona Authors’.
The great literary work conducted by the Association continues. The 2018 Literary Contest competition is heating up and soon will close! Submission deadline is postmark midnight July 2, 2018. Enter today!
2018 Arizona Literary Contest submission deadline is postmark midnight July 2, 2018.
GUIDELINES FOR THE 2018 LITERARY CONTEST
Specific literary evaluation criteria may be found at https:www.azauthors.com/literary-criteria-for-contest-categories/
Published Categories ~ Fiction, Nonfiction (NOTE: Cookbooks is a new category in 2018!) and Children’s Literature (Board & Chapter Books evaluated separately)
- Publishing / copyright date must by 2017 or 2018.
- Dates of publication, copyright, ISBN and publisher information must be identified on the copyright page.
- Electronic publications (EBooks) may be entered but only in printed and bound format, as in a professional galley or Advance Review Copy (ARC). Dates of publication, copyright, ISBN and publisher information must be identified on the copyright page.
- THREE (3) copies of the published book must be provided with the completed entry form.
- Authors are encouraged to submit multiple works. A separate entry form is required for each book submitted. Competitors may submit one check or one total PayPal payment for all submissions.
- Books will not be returned, but instead will be donated to local libraries, schools, senior centers and/ or healthcare facilities.
Unpublished Categories ~ Poetry, New Drama, Essay/Article/True Story, Short Story and Unpublished Novel)
- Entries must be unpublished. To qualify for an award, entries must remain unpublished until literary awards are announced on November 3, 2018. To clarify, by entering the 2018 Arizona Literary Contest, all unpublished contestants agree to consign first serial rights to Arizona Authors’ Association. The Association reserves the right to publish the entry or an excerpt of same one time only in the subsequent Arizona Literary Magazine before any other publication. Once the entry or an excerpt of same is published in the Arizona Literary Magazine, all rights of publication revert to the writer/author.
- THREE (3) copies of each entry must be provided with the completed entry form.
- Writers are encouraged to submit multiple works, in multiple categories. A separate entry form is required for each work submitted. Competitors may submit one check or one total PayPal payment for all submissions.
- Author’s name shall NOT appear anywhere other than on the entry form. If an author’s name appears on the manuscript, poem, short story, etc., that entry may be disqualified without further notice to the author.
- Except for poems, all manuscripts must be double-spaced, with 12-point characters and 1-inch margins on all four sides. PLEASE COMPLY WITH THESE SPECIFICATIONS or risk having the submission summarily disqualified without further notice to the author.
- Page headers MUST include the Title and Page Number (on each page). Again, do not list author’s name anywhere on the literary submission.
- Short Stories and Essays – 15-page maximum.
- Unpublished Novel category only – THREE (3) copies of ONLY the first 25 pages PLUS another 5-page synopsis must be submitted for each entry. Also, please comply with above-listed pagination, spacing and page header instructions. The entire novel must be immediately available to the Literary Contest Director, for review, however, upon request.
- New Drama category only – This writing is limited to a maximum of six (6) cast members and 30 minutes in length.
- Manuscripts will not be returned to the author unless critiques are ordered.
- The First and Second Place winners in the Poetry, Essay and Short Story categories will be nominated for the following calendar year PushCart Prize.
- The top four finalists, if applicable, in all categories except New Drama will be published or featured in the Arizona Literary Magazine 2019. The winning New Drama script, if there is one, will be published in its entirety.
- Entries will be accepted between January 1, 2018 and Monday, July 2, 2018 (entries postmarked July 2nd but received later are acceptable).
- Photocopies of the Official Entry Form are acceptable.
- Entries will not be returned, unless critiques are ordered (see Official Entry Form). Manuscripts will be destroyed and published books will be donated as stated above.
- Receipt of all entries is confirmed via email only. A valid and working email address is required. Please ensure Lisa@GreenPiecestoons.com is allowed in email inboxes.
- All category Finalists will be notified via email and/or telephone on or before September 10, 2018.
- Arizona Literary Contest Judges reserve the right to switch any entry to another category when deemed appropriate. The Literary Contest Director reserves the right to cancel any category(ies) if the number of entries is deemed insufficient or substandard and/or reserves the right to decline awarding prize money, etc. in any given category(ies) if the quality of best entries does not meet Arizona Authors’ Association literary standards.
- Any entry not conforming to these guidelines may be disqualified without notice to the author. There is no refund for any submissions.